By: Shama Hyder
Earlier this week I shared how I skyrocketed my past coaching business in three months. In that post, I promised I would also share my top lessons. These are my nuggets of wisdom.
1) Your brand matters. “Branding” is not just a fluffy feel good word. It matters. It is what your business is about, and it is what sets you apart from the million other service providers. I didn’t realize exactly HOW important a brand was until I got into the business. Once I caught on, I changed everything. Do this right from the start, and you won’t have to slave over it after the launch of your business.
2) Don’t do one shot coaching-it takes time! When I first started coaching, I worked with clients one month at a time. BAD idea. One month is not enough to create lasting change- unless you are in a specialized field. In personal coaching, it isn’t enough time. If I could do it over, I would ask clients for at least a 3 month commitment.
3) Get FEEDBACK. No matter how amazing you are at what you do- get feedback and get lots of it. I thought some ideas were just brilliant and they “felt right.” Then I asked colleagues and clients. They didn’t agree. And that’s okay! Your business is not about you. It’s about serving your market. Listen to them and heed their advice.
4) Don’t get discouraged- No matter how seasoned you are, starting a business from scratch is tough. Don’t get discouraged. Keep at it and try different methods. Give the methods time, but don’t beat your head against a brick wall. Get help, get motivated, and don’t give up!
5) List, List, List- Offline, location is everything. Online, your LIST is everything. Build up a list of people who care about what you have to say. Respect them, treat them like friends, and offer them value in exchange for their time and attention. I constantly give away things to my list. I adore them. I share my life stories, case studies, and whatever else I can. This is your most valuable asset. I learned this in my coaching business.
What have you learned while building your business? Please share below! = )