Public speaking is a great way to obtain new clients and further establish your expertise as a service professional. You can go about this in two ways. First, you can speak at meetings or events hosted by others. Second, you can host a seminar yourself. If you choose to do the latter, here are five ways how to publicize a seminar.
1) Do a Webinar!- If you really want to do a seminar, but find yourself struggling with the logistics (location, finding the right time, etc.), go with a webinar instead. Your participants can call in, listen to you deliver the seminar, and follow along with your slides. An added bonus to hosting a webinar is that you can save it as a podcast and let even more people listen to it later.
2) Partner Up- Publicize your seminar through businesses that offer services complimentary to yours. For example, if you are hosting a seminar in order to show people how to do their own taxes, you can partner with a local law firm to advertise it. In turn, you can offer to advertise their services at your seminar by placing their banner at the back of the room or by giving out their business cards.
3) Get Bloggers on Board!- Ask local bloggers and specifically, bloggers who blog about your topic to advertise your seminar. Some may charge you a fee and some may share the information with their readers for free. The reason blogs are a great medium for publicizing seminars is because bloggers already have a strong following and if their readers are interested in your particular topic, it works out perfectly.
4) Give Away FREE tickets- Radio stations are always looking for free giveaways and this can get you some free advertising! Offer a pair of free tickets as a giveaway to a key local radio station (hint-the radio station your target market listens to).
5) Donate Part of the Profits to a Charity- Find a charity that appeals to you and is somewhat related to your business and offer to give them part of the profits from the seminar. For example, if you are a coach for moms, you can pick a children’s charity. Most charities will help you get the word out to their demographic. If their demographic is also your target market-it is a win win for all involved!
Seminars can be a challenge to market, especially if you are not well known but if you use smart marketing techniques it can be a very rewarding experience!